Sunday, August 05, 2007

faces


i look at the picture of me when i was about one year old, next to my sister. she is holding my cheek, gently presssing her fingers into my soft cheek. it is as if she turns my face toward whatever comes from what's in front of us. and her face looks closed, a soul safe within. but my face is all open, my mouth, my eyes. and whatever will hurl its powers towards us, it will bounce off her but it will enter me. i have no defenses at all, no, my face is inviting whatever may come.

i want to tell her that she needs to grow a thicker skin. that she needs to protect herself against oncoming traffic. that she is not invincible. that she will get hurt this way. but she keeps inviting without any thought of herself.

3 Comments:

Blogger artandghosts said...

my god, this was like receiving a sledgehammer to the heart!
well, i know this type of reflection so well, having had many curious 'discussions' with images of my childhood self.....which i wont go into here, ha!

Im glad to see the apple emerging.
You can keep your balance no matter how high you care to climb, you know....

and Maren, you look the same now, except perhaps a little hairier around the head:)

Sun Aug 05, 08:35:00 PM 2007  
Blogger marinkel said...

yes, and i am just as clueless.. ;) this was taken shortly after my entire head was shaven and all my thick corkscrew curls had gone, never to return. my mother didn't allow anyone to take a picture of me bald... here it finally had started growing again. :)

Wed Aug 08, 03:11:00 PM 2007  
Blogger artandghosts said...

i was officially bald until i was three (although i insist my hair was so white you just couldnt tell it was there;)

one day i will oblige you an image, and you will die laughing!

Sun Aug 19, 11:47:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home